Did you know?
Around 60% of toxic ingredients that are hidden in your skin care products, make their way into your blood and organs (1). That’s bad enough.
But then consider…
The average woman uses 12 products every morning (2). Don’t think for a minute that men aren’t at risk. Most High Street brands pour toxins into their shaving, hair, and body products. And nobody is regulating any of it. So it’s up to you to read ingredients and know what to avoid, to protect your health.
Here are five body care products hiding deadly chemicals:
1. SPF Suntan Lotion: Vitamin A - retinyl palmitate - speeds the spread of skin cancer when you apply it topically. And it’s in about 40% of sunscreens. The vitamin reacts safely in foods and many supplements. But it creates lesions and tumors when you apply it to your skin (3). To be safe, you should avoid retinyl palmitate in all skin and lip products (4). Wear a hat or carry an umbrella instead. Cover your body with light fabric. Limit your outdoor activity when the sun is strong. Choose a mineral blocker with zinc or titanium oxide. They can help protect against UVA rays. But they still let your body make vitamin D3 from sunlight. Call into More than Skin Deep, we stock a whole range of healthy sun tan creams and skincare products to suit children and adults.
2. Deodorants: Parabens are toxic preservatives. Manufacturers add them to products you use from head to toe. Deodorants and antiperspirants present the most danger. Parabens mimic oestrogen. They settle in breast tissue. Methyl and isobutyl parabens create a wide range of disorders and cancers.5 Isobutyl parabens can collect in the rest of your body. They can cause reproductive harm - and developmental disorders (6). Look for a deodorant that doesn’t contain these harmful additives. Or you can take it a step further and find a natural deodorant. They rely on ingredients like sage and lemon oils instead of synthetic scents and chemicals. You can find these healthy alternatives at More than Skin Deep!
3. Baby Lotion: Scientists found high levels of phthalates in the urine of babies whose parents rubbed baby lotion on their skin. They also found decreased testosterone levels in baby boys (7). Since the chemical isn’t always listed, look for products with labels that say “no phthalates” or “phthalate-free.” More than Skin Deep only sell “phthalate-free” products, including a whole babies range of skincare products.
The fewer ingredients you put on your body (and your baby) the better. Try softening your skin with almond, avocado, or coconut oils. Drinking more water will also help hydrate your body from the inside.
4. Nail Polish: Toluene is a flammable substance. It is used as paint thinner. It impairs breathing. This chemical has been listed as a chemical that causes birth defects (8). Along with damaging, your immune system.
Nowadays you often see nail technicians wearing masks. When you have your nails done in a salon, don’t be afraid to ask for one. And if pregnant avoid having your nails done, alternatively you can buy safer Nail polishes at More than Skin Deep, where you will find a whole range of fabulous colours along with all the nail care products to nourish and protect your cuticles and nails.
5. Hair Straighteners: Many hair-straightening products use formaldehyde and cosmetics such as mascara. Some companies continue to use dangerous levels of this chemical in their products. Enough to damage the eyes, nervous system, and lungs of hairdressers - and their customers (9). Formaldehyde causes cancer in humans (10). Product manufacturers use the chemical as a preservative (11). Yet the International Agency for Research on Cancer officially classifies formaldehyde as a human carcinogen (12). More than Skin Deep stock a whole range of alternative healthy hair care and make-up products.
When you eat toxic foods, your digestive system helps break down the chemicals. But when your skin absorbs poisonous ingredients, your body stores it (13). Always read the labels on cosmetics - or any other body care products you buy. All numbered references available - please click here.
Do you have specific skin issues or concerns, eczema, acne, rosacea, dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, irritated or sensitive scalp, dry skin, child eczema, psoriasis, urticaria, body acne?
Have you tried all the products on the market and nothing seems to work? Come along and sample the range of natural skincare products and receive free no obligation skincare advice in the shop located in:
Hatherells Yard Market, High Street, Chipping Sodbury, Bristol BS37 6BA
All the products we stock are free from Parabens, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, phthalates, DEA, TEA and alcohol (ethyl alcohol/ethanol), steroids, hormones, antibiotics, Fluoride, Triclosan, artificial colours and other harmful chemicals. Products include Salcura for specific dry skin conditions such as eczema and acne. The Pure Lakes range, handmade in the Lake District made from natural bees wax and essential oils, a complete luxury organic & vegan friendly range of skin care products and cosmetics from Inlight and the Green People, and nail varnish with nail care products from Zoya, free of toluene, formaldehyde, Dibutyl Phthalate and camphor.
beautiful inside and out...
MORE THAN SKIN DEEP
Salcura products contain only the finest
grade pure and natural ingredients fromaround the world. We use no artificial chemicals or pharmaceutical preparations such as cortisones, peroxides, parabens and paraffin. Ingredients are chosen for their
bio-scientifically proven ability to deal with infection (eg. fungal or bacterial), inflammation and tissue damage.
Inlight organic skin care is the ultimate in luxury beauty. Our nourishing organic products, brimming with bio-active ingredients and handmade in small batches in our own workshop, are completely natural and paraben free. They are a perfect anti-ageing treat for your skin.
Natural make-up for a perfect complexion. For beauty inspired by
the hues of nature, with pure
coverage that lasts all day long.
Natural mineral pigments with lasting
colour and with broad-spectrum
SPF15. Free from talc and
non-irritating and suitable for
Put perfect nail color on lock down. The Zoya Color Lock System surrounds polish with a protective barrier against moisture, bubbling, chipping and UV damage. Free from Formaldehyde, Formaldehyde Resin, Toluene, Dibutyl Phthalate, Camphor and Vegan Friendly.
Natural skin care and toiletries to gently cleanse, moisturise and soothe the body whilst also minimising the environmental impact. Formulated using pure plant oils and butters or ingredients derived from these raw materials with the minimum of processing. With most ingredients being organic and checked that they are derived from a traceable, sustainable source.
A family owned, Australian company with an entire range of natural and gentle products that are made with effective ingredients and no gimmicks. All MooGoo’s products are designed to keep the skin or scalp moist, supple and using high quality, natural ingredients. They simply love natural plant oils and extracts.
Balm Balm's 100% Organic, Soil Association approved Balms are a staple in our beauty cabinets. Multi purpose miracle workers that soothe, heal and nourish skin anywhere and everywhere!
The Balm Balm range is a unique collection of totally pure, super effective water-less Skincare Balms created by hand to exacting Soil Association standards. Today the range continues to be lovingly made by hand with every finished product certified 100% organic and 100% natural; free from Parabens, SLS's and Preservatives and with all ingredients clearly listed in their website and products and BUAV approved.